Tuesday, June 26, 2007

almost clocked out yesterday........



had a pretty scarey evening yesterday! worked on frames all day, and after working on jeni c.'s bike decided to close shop and do some chores, but i was a little bonky so i decided to blend up a smoothie. i've been really conjested from all the pine pollen, and someone told me local bee pollen would help out. no problem, they sell it at the farmer's market! soooo....i dumped a spoonful in the fruit and whipped it up - delicious! within an hour or so, however, i started to swell and itch. my throat, lips, and my face began swelling quick, and i looked like i had about 10,000 bug bites and i was all red. my hands swelled painfully, and i barely got my wedding ring off - that's when i snapped the pic - i called denise and asked her if she could come home and take care of me. i do not think i was entirely rational as aniphylactic shock was setting in fast. she told me to call 911, which i wasn't into, so she did. good thing, too, as i was crashing pretty fast. they got out the gurney and loaded me up in the meatwagon and my blood pressure droppped through the floor and my heart quit working and i flatlined for 8 seconds. they shot me uo with a bunch of stuff and i started coming back around by the time i got to the hospital, where i spent the evening, but i was demanding to split by 10pm as i hate those places [justifiably, i think}. soooo.....feeling pretty groggy today, sorry all....i'm trying to build bikes as fast as i can! steve.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Shit Steve !
That would be a rotten stoke of luck to have gone through all that you have only to be taken out by the "smoothie of death" !!!

matty

Anonymous said...

Atleast it wasn't a double shot of local bee pollen. NOt a pretty picture of your mug for sure.

rest up a bit. peteC

Matt Jenkins said...

I once had a bad reaction like that to a bee or wasp sting as a kid. I've been riding with benadryl and an epi-pen in my camelbak. Last year I got stung by some yellow jackets on a ride in the mountains. I just took two benadryl and luckily I didn't have to use the epi-pen. The thought of jabbing that sucker into my leg is a bit unappetizing. I also wonder what all that epi would do if your heart was already racing from a good hard ride. Anyhow, I hope they turned you loose from the hospital and your feeling better today.

Matt from NC

Anonymous said...

my father got popped by a bee mowing the lawn one time. my mom had to throw his ass into the car and plow the driveway fence to get out.

glad all is well. just tuning in her in charlottesville.
john w.
amanda says hey.

Anonymous said...

Good God! Glad to hear you're okay. It's way to soon for Coconinos to become collectors items:)

Brad G.

Anonymous said...

You are one good lookin' brotha, dude. Lay off the cheesebugers, yer puttin' on so weight, man. Dan B. say's Bee cafeful!

Pablo said...

Scary stuff - glad you are okay. Good thing you are married to somone who knows what's what. On the bright side, better to find out you've got an alergy like that when you have access to emergency medical as opposed to out on the trail.

DMC said...

I am so dam glad that you are ok,,, just goes to show how tough you are,,, thank god her self for denise.. stick to local hops and barley....

Anonymous said...

holy shitballs, batman! looks like you owe Denise one more time...

glad it all worked out.

best from us
A+M+M

Anonymous said...

Glad you're OK Steve! Tell Denise to continue NOT listening to you, pleez. Damn.

Preskit Matt

Anonymous said...

And....thanks for the new desktop picture!

PM

Japhy rider said...

aye de mi! that's a little too close. very happy to hear that you got the care you needed, Steve. hey, did your allergies go away? take it easy, rest a lot, and stay healthy (alive is good too!).

J. rider

Anonymous said...

Wow. Okay, now, back to work!

(Steve, very happy to know you're okay)

All of us in Virginia...

Anonymous said...

That has to be the most surreal story I've heard in a while. Wow -- fuck even -- I think the stronger language applies here. Is this [allergy] something that has never been revealed, as in, no bee contact for 39 years? Or is it something that suddenly develops or latently appears like adult diabetes?
Some of life's hardest lessons are best learned from the experience of others. I'll come away from this knowing to go ahead and call 911 in questionable situations; you can't be sure you'll just be able to ride it out. Wow, fuck. Steve, so glad you're still with us.
-dw

Mimbres Man said...

Glad you are alive Steve! I went into shock after an injection of hydrocordisone in the clinic here in Ven. The doctors were as surprised as I was. I didn't flatline though.
What a story Steve!

El Scorcho said...

Damn dude, that's scary. Did you know you were allergic before?
That pic does not even look like you.
Glad your still with us.

Cyclebound said...

Dude, that's crazy! I'm glad you're alright. I had a reaction to bee pollen where my throat and tongue did some weird stuff but not even close to what you had to go through. I've been stung by plenty of bees too and never any type of reaction to the stings. Bee pollen is some serious shit.